Shawn Martin is a retired Music Educator, having taught 5th-12th Grade Band for 31
years. During his career, he served as SWKMEA Jazz Chair, HS Band Chair, and
District President. He is a graduate of Salina Central High School (Go Mustangs!), and
Fort Hays State University (Go Tigers!) Mr. Martin is a member of Phi Mu Alpha
Sinfonia and Phi Beta Mu.
Middle School Band
Oct. 2 - Audition Upload Deadline - Late entries are not possible - $15 fee per completed audition
Oct. 10 - Judging ends
Nov. 5 - Clinic & Concert @ Dodge City MS
Audition Event Tag
Directors will need to activate the following tag in their Festival Scores
Please refer to the Chromatic Scale Examples page for PDF resources.
The unison audition excerpts are included in the SWKMEA Guidelines Notebook.
For 2022-23, make sure you are using Cycle 1
Cycle 1 - Even Years
Cycle 2 - Odd Years
Record the following audio files (mp3 format) for each audition.
|Winds and Mallets
- File 1 - Chromatic Scale - 2 Octaves
- File 2 - #164
- File 1 - #123 - Including tuning of 3 timpani
- File 1 - #132 - Snare Drum Only Exercise
- File 2 - #164
- Students will audition via mp3 recording through Festival Scores.
Audition recordings must be uploaded by the audition deadline.
- Please fill out your student profiles as completely as you can. This is the only way the Chair can get the correct information to each school and student.
- Audition material for all instruments will be taken from the Essential Technique for Band. These materials are selected on a two-year cycle.
- A chromatic scale will also be played in addition to the etude. It is written out for each instrument and provided on the website.
Rules for Chromatic Scale:
- Quarter note=60 played on eighth notes
- Slur up, tongue down
- Students must play both octaves as written in chromatic scale
- Snare drum percussionists will play the exercise with a multiple bounce buzz roll. Quarter note at 120.
- Timpani percussionists will record tuning the timpani followed by the exercise with no fermatas. Quarter note at 120.
- Bell lyre, orchestra bells, xylophone, and the marimba are acceptable for mallet auditions. Mallet percussionists will play the same chromatic scale as
listed above for wind instruments in addition to the etude. Please record the scale first followed by the etude.
- Each percussion instrument audition must be on a separate recording.
- No accompaniment playing with audition material.
- Directors, please listen to the recordings before submitting them. In the past, background noise or incorrect recording has ruined a recording for a student.