HELP A MUSIC MAJOR FROM THE SOUTHWEST DISTRICT
CRITERIA FOR MUSIC SCHOLARSHIP
- Nominated by a former high school music instructor.
- A graduate from a SWKMEA high school having been active in music during high school.
- Classified as a junior or senior enrolled in a four-year college or university.
- Must be a Music Educator major.
- Must list number of current college hours and college G.P.A.
- Must list music awards, accomplishments, and achievements to date from high school and college.
- Must list one faculty member in the music department of the college or university currently enrolled to be contacted for a recommendation.
- The Scholarship Committee making the selection will be chaired by the SWKMEA Immediate Past President and assisted by the current President and the President-Elect.
- The nominating teacher will send the sample letter and addressed envelope to the nominee.
- The nominee must return the scholarship letter to the selection committee Chair before October 30.
- The scholarship is for the amount of $300 made payable to the college or university.
- The scholarship may be renewed one time.
SAMPLE LETTER FOR NOMINATING TEACHER
Dear (name of nominee),
Southwest Kansas Music Educators Association has established a music scholarship for a deserving music education major at a four-year college/university with the classification of a junior or senior.
The scholarship is for the amount of three hundred dollars payable to the college/university of the recipient and announced during the SWKMEA December business meeting.
You have been nominated by me to receive this scholarship. Please compose a letter of application and mail it in the enclosed addressed envelope before October 30th. Your letter should include the following items:
- Name of Applicant
- College/University currently attending
- Year Classification
- Number of college credit hours completed at this date
- Grade Point Average
- List high school and college/university music awards, accomplishments, and achievements to date.
- Name one faculty member on staff in the music department of the college/university you are attending (and phone number).
- Nominating Teacher (and phone number)
(Signature of nominating teacher)