HS Choral - Audition Guidelines
Updated: Jul. 28, 2001
- SWKMEA has only one audition. It is used to determine
both the District and State participants.
- Students are not allowed to audition, participate, or be
selected to both the choir and instrumental groups. (Exception:
a student may be in the District Choir and the District Jazz Band
since those groups rehearse and perform on different days.)
- There is no restriction as to the number of students any school
may send to audition.
- Directors with students auditioning are expected to be available
(all day) to help with auditions.
- Auditions for the District Choir are held in conjuction with
the SWKMEA Middle School clinic. This is generally held
on the first Saturday of November.
- Directors must include on the online roster each
student planning to audition. The roster is due by the date specified
in the fall bulletin.
- The audition material for SWKMEA will be identical to the
State audition material and will be announced by the District
Choral Chair in either a late spring or early fall bulletin
to the district directors.
- Auditions are held at the Middle School in Dodge City.
- Each student will be assigned an audition number and time.
- Each student will sing the announced music to a cassette
recording containing the accompaniment, if any, and the other
three vocal parts of the audition song.
- Each student will audition separately and will be scored on
their audition by three judges. The students will be
identified by their audition number only and will not be seen
by the judges.
- All district choral directors will be notified of the district
tryout music on Wednesday preceding the Saturday audition
date. Auditions for students unable to attend the regular
audition because of a KSHSAA sponsored activity will be held
on the Thursday evening preceding the Saturday auditions.
Times and location of the Thursday auditions will be announced
in the fall bulletin.
- A list of those making District Choir will be mailed to each
director on the Monday following the auditions.
- The District Choir will rehearse and perform at the SWKMEA
Mini-Convention which is generally held on the first Saturday of
- Questions concerning District Choir should be directed to the High School Choral Chair.